Monday, July 8, 2013

Rye Playland: My Bloated Coaster Con XXXVI Road Trip Report - Part VI


So here's what happened:


I heard through the grapevine at Quassy that Tom Egolf wanted to sneak down to Playland in Rye, NY at some point during or around Con. I had heard from other people that the park was a must see, so I was kind of kicking myself for not planning a visit in the first place. On top of that, the park's future is being threatened by possible re-development, so its days could be numbered.

About 5 seconds after I heard that Tom was thinking of going, I hijacked his plan, turned it into a bonafide, day-long Coaster Con decampment, and pitched it back to him. He and the others went for it, so in a matter of minutes our Tuesday spontaneously turned into a game of hooky at Playland, and what a day it was!

Two-point-five hours from Six Flags New England, Playland is situated in cozy, suburban Rye on Long Island. It is one of two amusement parks designated as a National Historic Landmark (the other is Kennywood), and its designation stems from being the first totally-planned amusement park. Unlike all parks before it, Rye Playland was not a trolley park, or a swimming hole, or a beach pier, or anything else of that nature. No, Playland Amusement Park opened in 1928 as just that: an amusement park. 



The park's "mall"-style layout is significant because...well...nobody had ever built a park from the ground up before. They had no pre-existing fixtures to deal with, so they started with this and built from there.

The 1929 Dragon Coaster is what brings the ACErs in.

The ride was designed & constructed during the park's first season & opened soon after.

It's the Coaster Con Hooky Crew!

Still hand-break operated!

I don't care what anyone says. I LOVE Morgan trains. I rode the Giant Dipper at the Boardwalk when I was 6. Those were the first wooden coaster trains I ever saw. Then I was introduced to the Grizzly at Great America, and the following year Colossus at Magic Mountain. It actually took me a long time to figure out that Morgan trains were both abnormal and generally disregarded. I guess I could see the individual lap-bar trains irritating people, but the Giant Dipper & Dragon Coaster's trains are essentially buzz-bars! And there's no seat belt! What's not to love?? Nothing, that's what! There's nothing not to love about my 33rd credit of the year, Dragon Coaster! Smooth, cute, fun; Like a little brother to the Giant Dipper in several ways. 


Next up is one of Playland's original rides: The Whip!

Too bad this Whip doesn't feel like it's been touched since 1928.

This thing bounced and jerked like a malfunctioning chainsaw! Still cute, though.

Something our friends couldn't stress enough was how neat the dark rides here are. First up is Zombie Castle!

Dark ride-junkie Jeff was delighted! The ride is very well maintained and has some great gags.

*GASP*

SHOPPING!!!! I'll be right back...

*buys all*
Can't say that I've ever seen an amusement park retail store set up like this, but it's actually really cool. I love the look of it, and all of their wares are proudly on display.


While I was shopping, I was ambushed by two old-ish guys and a kind young park representative. One of the old-ish guys seemed to be made of felt. 

Flying Witch is Playland's other traditional tracked dark ride. It's exceedingly elaborate and even goes up to the 2nd floor! Great ride!

Very scary faces and some very sensual bodies.

Next is the log flume, of course!

Never have I seen a log flume with such a nice setting. You can't tell based on the picture, but the small pier adjacent to that black gate was all but destroyed by Sandy.

We didn't ride the bumper cars, but I had to share with you this cute sign. :}

At this point we tackled the kiddie coaster.

I guess no new park on my Year of 100 New Coasters would be complete with out a kiddie credit. Ding! #34.


Jeff's really gotten in touch with his inner credit whore. When we met in Scandinavia, he couldn't be bothered to ride kiddie coasters. :P

Soon it was time for lunch. Since I don't eat, I took pictures of Dragon instead. :}

"RRRAAAAWWRRR IT'S LUNCH TIME!!!"

*eats train*


Turns out my whole not-eating thing saved me in the end! Jeff said it was the WORST hot dog of his life. And it was a NATHAN'S hot dog! (in theory...we suspect that Nathan's simply rents out their name to this place, which is a shame because this is terrible brand-association)


...also, it looks like Dan is wearing a flowery hat in that picture.   #--D:} 
                                                                                                  flower ^    Dan ^


After pushing our way through lunch like The Little Train That Could, it was time to face an even greater challenge.

Oof. 

Trombi at Sarkaniemmi is among the worst coasters I've ever ridden. Seeing as all Zamperla Volares are made equal, I was not looking forward to this. Even the flimsy novelty of flight can't save this ride from excessive awfulness. It's literally the most uncomfortable roller coaster ever. If Banzai Pipeline is a coffin water slide, Superflight is a coffin with the spikes inside, like in the movies. And you get thrown out of an airplane in said spiked coffin. And there's also a honey badger in the coffin. It's that bad.

Oh, and its credit #35.


Now for a *good* ride! Derby Racer!! 

One of 3 in the World, the Derby Racer is also one of Playland's original attractions.

Ok. So. One of Playland's best assets is its Kiddyland. It is possibly the best collection of cute amusement things ever. I nearly combusted with cuteness overload. It was seriously almost too much to handle.

Kiddyland's pride and joy is their 1928 miniature wood coaster, called Kiddie Coaster.  Its bright blue track circles around what was once the perimeter of Kiddyland.

*dies*

Yes, those are miniature National Amusement Device trains. 


Needless to say, we didn't ride the Kiddie Coaster. We didn't even try. I don't think I could even fit my right butt cheek into one of those cars. 

Kiddyland's authentic miniature Eli Bridge Scrambler cannot go unnoticed.

These kiddos don't know how good they have it! This ride must hold the record for the least-ridden ACE Coaster Classic in operation.

The park's indoor kiddie whip is probably among the nicest whips I've ever seen, big or small.

The ride operator said something about the cut-off age for this ride being around 5 years old.

Did any other Kennywood Thunderbolt fans absolutely loose their sh*t when they first saw these trains? I mean, seriously. Seeing them in person made me squeal.

I think, out of every last amusement artifact I have ever laid eyes on, that these trains have got to be the absolute, #1 cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. When my niece is born, I will make it a lifetime-priority to get her on this roller coaster. In doing so, I will have reached the cuteness-sublime & shall ascend into eternal cuteness nirvana. 


To their credit, Playland's beefy security has kept Kiddyland full of stroller moms and kiddos. It was probably the liveliest part of the park.

One more picture before I tear myself away. I can barely stand it.

Wait.....what's this?!

HAH! psyche! You didn't really think I could quit that early, did you? I of course hopped onto the ferris wheel and immediately got back to taking pictures of Kiddieland.

I seriously get this little twinge of ecstasy every time I look at that little train. I need to make Kiddie Coaster my laptop background or something. Instant cure for crankiness.
After looking at Kiddie Coaster for so long, Dragon Coaster looks huge!

Whoops! I think I just broke the blog! I can fix it!!

Here's Playland's stupid little Wild Mouse with its stupid little 6' height maximum.  I got my credit by lying about my height & slouching when they measured me, but Dan, Steve, and Jeff didn't get to ride! :{

Credit (#36) for me and Tom, but no cigar for Dan, Steve and Jeff!



Ok, Kennywood fans. Here's another one that will make you squirm with some sort of emotion.

It's Ye Old Mill!

Here's a map of our route.

The operator of Ye Old Mill was definitely into it. But then, who wouldn't love to operate this ride? :}

XTREME YE OLD MILL POV!

Built in conjunction with the Dragon Coaster, Ye Old Mill's layout follows portions of the coaster's layout. The two share the coaster's superstructure.

Now for some quality time with the Dragon Coaster shrine!

Dan and Tom had to have their turn in the Dragon car.

This car & others like it were the inspiration for GCI's Millennium Flyers.

ACE has just been all over this region! So many landmarks!

Oh boy! Time for the House of Mirrors!

Half-way through the mirror maze is this hall of funhouse mirrors!

If we were a band, this would be our first album cover.

Next we decided to hit up the park's neat old video arcade! 


Oh my goodness! It's roller coaster pinball!

Pinball-Wizard Jeff shot the ball down the coaster ramp just so I could take a picture of it. ;}

The boys are captivated!

We also did Skee Ball! The room was filled with its classic theme music. 

So many captions for this one.

I guess I'll take the high road and leave it at

"aahhhh, an artifact of The Land Before Politcal Correctness."

.........

HEY EVERYBODY!

LET'S PLAY WHACK-A-COCK!!!

Well, so much for the high road. 


For those of you who are fans of Tom Hank's Big, this is THE Zoltar machine from the film, which featured scenes of Playland. Tom received a convoluted fortune for .50 and was pretty excited about it!

One last ride on Dragon Coaster! Sadly, Tom and I got rained out. We were just one train away! Oh well.

We had a fabulous time at Playland & we're soooo glad we decided to go. Tomorrow we return to our regularly-scheduled Coaster Con events. We finish up with Six Flags New England & venture on to one of my new favorite parks, Canobie Lake! :D

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. The souvenir stand by the flying witch was always my favorite place in all of rye playland. Especially the inflatable dolls.

    ReplyDelete