Sunday, July 14, 2013

Hersheypark: My Bloated Coaster Con XXXVI Road Trip Report - Part XI

When I first visited Hersheypark in 2005, I was very impressed. Big park rides with small park attention to detail. 

This time around, things at Hershey were even more impressive! Accompanied by local friends Josh and Jon, Christian and I attacked Hersheypark & took no prisoners!


Who's ready for a full day at one of the largest traditional parks in America?

We weren't. We were on day 11 of our trip, and our adventures had started to catch up to us. Just thinking about tackling Hersheypark made us tired. However, we are ACERS & WE DO NOT BACK DOWN FROM A CHALLENGE! 


I felt a bit of an energy boost when I saw this.

Can anyone guess where we're going first?

The Balloons, of course! :}

Just kidding!

The boys and I decided to invest in the park's Fast Track service, which gave us a VIP ride on the park's 9 largest coasters. Our first VIP ride was Skyrush, but our time slot wouldn't be for another 45 minutes. We went ahead and snagged a quick ride before morning crowds took over.

I had of course heard the complaints about the lap bars. Sitting in the trains for the first time, I noticed how far down on my thighs the so-called lap bar rested. I concluded that this configuration must still allow for airtime despite inevitably stapling you at the upper-legs.

Once the ride started, we were at the top of the lift in no time. It practically hurls you over the top of the hill & into the first dirt turn, which promptly staples you into submission. However, on the first airtime hill, I found myself instinctively holding on for dear life. It was at this point that the openness of the trains became truly apparent; there's nothing above, below, or beside your seat. The train itself feels almost non-existant.

The airtime on this thing is absurd. I felt like I was tied to the back of a bronco on cocaine. The ride's barely-there lap bar suddenly didn't feel stapled enough, like anything less would have literally flung me into the lake below. Same goes for the laterals; there were moments when I thought that squeezing out of the side lap bar would be totally possible if it wasn't for its strong grip.

Coming into the breaks, I was speechless (anyone who knows me knows that this is very, very rare). My legs were throbbing, my eyes were wet, and my equilibrium was shot. Sitting outside the station, our lap bars popped up slightly. As the blood once again flowed freely to my feet & back, I did the best I could to reflect on my 49th credit of 2013. What I came away with is that this ride is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Skyrush is, without a doubt, the most violent coaster I've ever ridden.


...and with that, Skyrush became my new #1 steel coaster. 


I'm speaking directly to you, Skyrush.

You are a sick, dirty coaster.

I like that sh*t.

Comet is the *last* coaster on our VIP tickets, so we'll back for a ride sometime before dinner.

Good 'ole Great Bear was taunting us with its fancy acrobatics, but  first...

... it's time for a classic!

My ride on Sooperdooperlooper in 2005 was disappointing. I thought the brakes before the second half of the ride were on way too hard. However, equipped with new magnetic breaks and stunning orange trains, Sooperdooperlooper now delivers with the best of Schwartzkopf's creations.

Now if we could just get some of these trains on the Revolution at Magic Mountain.

Our VIP Sooperdooperlooper ride would be next after our Skyrush VIP ride, but we still had some time to kill.

As you can see, there's a pretty high-tech system in  place here.

Anyone in the mood to get wet?

Coal Cracker is a GREAT log flume. The drop has a nice airtime bump!

Okay, time for more Sooperdooperlooper!

This is just such a great old ride. I can't tell you how pleased I am to see that Hersheypark has re-invested in the ride. They even had T-shirts!

Great Bear delivers a solid ride. Maybe not the best B&M invert, but what a unique and interesting layout!

At this point, Christian and I went to meet Tracy at Chocolate World while Jonathan and Josh went to the water park. I decided to do my shopping on the way. Hooray for the 2nd Christmas store in 2 days!

I also had to check out the park's main gift shop.

The store was immaculate & totally empty, so I decided to take a brochure-style photo. :}

Here we are at Chocolate World! It's a great way to beat the heat at Hersheypark when it's in the middle of the day.

In 2005, my folks and I bought ludicrous amounts of chocolate & ate it all over the course of a few days. This time around, I had no way of getting anything back home in tact due to the heat, and I wasn't really desperate for anything chocolate.

I did, however, enjoy a delicious Blue Raspberry Jolly Rancher Gelatin! The whipped cream on top was as thick as ice cream. Yum!

GREAT view of Skyrush from Chocolate World.

The views of Comet & Bear aren't bad either.

Christian and Tracy decided to stay & do Chocolate World's "Make Your Own Candy Bar" attraction, so I went back into the park to have a photo shoot with my new favorite steel coaster.


*swoon*

"Why don't you photograph me like one of your French girls."

So, if anyone ever does fly out of this ride, it's going to be right here at this transition. Seriously. 

Comet is just all timid and submissive-looking underneath Skyrush.

Which is probably how Sooperdooperlooper feels under the looming Great Bear.

This marvelous contraption here ALSO hovers over a Hersheypark classic.

Hello Arrow goodness! :}

I went ahead and rode Trailblazer by myself. I assumed the boys wouldn't mind, and I was right.

We all decided to meet up at Fahrenheit, which would be credit #50 of my Year of 100 New Coasters!

Just LOOK at that drop!

So, remember how I said Canyon Blaster was my 375th coaster? Well, that was a lie. I was looking over my list a couple days ago and mis-counted (it was actually the 2nd mis-count. I had originally thought that Diamondback at King's Island was my 375, but I had made that projection before we'd added Playland & York's WIld Kingdom to the itinerary!).

Yes, that means that Fahrenheit was my 375th coaster! And what a great milestone it was! Fahrenheit may be the "middle child" among Hersheypark's Intamin family, but it completely holds its own. The first drop & the Norwegian Pretzel are sensational.


Speaking of the Intamin family, we haven't forgotten about Storm Runner! A huge hit & Top 10 steel coaster for me in 2005, Storm Runner still delivers a spectacular ride.

Not to mention some of the only views of Trailblazer in the park.

Heading back towards the back of the park, I had to give Fahrenheit some photo love. It's probably Hersheypark's most dramatic-looking coaster.

What surprised me about Fahrenheit is the smoothness of its transitions. While not quite as sensational as Maverick, it certainly doesn't beat you up as bad either.

I can now say that I've ridden both Norwegian Pretzels! I hope they build more. It's featured on Intamin's 12-inversion coaster, but they have yet to sell one.

Though a crowd-pleaser, I 100% expect Tidal Force to be the home of the Hersheypark Boardwalk's next expansion.

Who's ready for some Wildcat action?

The line for Wildcat provides one of the only in-park views of the Hershey factory! We'll be getting up-close & personal with it a little bit later.

We decided to skip the Wild Mouse.

#aintnobodygottimefordat

I don't really remember Wildcat from my 2005 trip. A re-ride reminded me that the ride is pretty unremarkable. It's the roughest, least-interesting GCI I've ever ridden. Having said that, this is GCI's first coaster, and like they say, "You gotta dance with the one that brung ya."

I may be totally out of line here, but I would love to see Hersheypark jump on the backwards coaster bandwagon with Wildcat. With two other GCIs and a great classic woodie in the same park, Wildcat could really use something to set it apart somehow. I think some fresh track and two backwards trains would do the trick! 


It's such a wonderful feeling, being surrounded by beautiful Intamins. 

Next we rode the Lightning Racers. They're much smoother than Wildcat & the dueling stuff never gets old. Bravo!

Okay, Ferris Wheel time!

A lot of Hersheypark's back bowl is unrecognizable from my first visit. The park's grassy knolls and worthless suspended water coaster have been replaced with this lively water park! Some feel that the park's decision to not build the water park off site was a mistake, but I believe they made the right choice.


Sidewinder has been broken all day. I'm sure you can feel my grief.

Fahren is so stunning that it almost doesn't look real. 

After 2 failed attempts, I successfully nabbed the Storm-Runner-top-hat-distance-shot!

Millennium Flyers on Wildcat really aren't the solution for the ride. Fresh track is where it's at!

Hello, you two. Play nice, now!

When the opportunity for a Belgian waffle sundae arises, what kind of person would I be if I let it pass me by?

(Yes, it was effing wonderful. The waffle was made-to-order)

So, I really wanted a 2nd ride on Fahrenheit, but the ride's 45 minute stand-by line was not appealing. What I decided to do was go to Customer Service (where we bought our Fast Track passes) and ask if they could substitute our ride on the broken Sidewinder for a 2nd ride on Fahrenheit (the tickets say that substitutes are at the discretion of the park). 

Lo and behold, our wishes were granted! We got TWO rides on Fahrenheit that day & didn't wait for but one train each time. Huzzah!!


Fahrenheit, my love! My affection for you is great, but my heart belongs to Skyrush!

*sobs dramatically*

Walking back to Storm Runner for a 3rd ride, we saw that Sidewinder had finally opened! Eight hours late, but better late than never! I decided to give it a ride & enjoy the marvelous new vest trains.


Despite Hersheypark's best efforts, it would seem that Sidewinder still kills people.

Christian and I were starting to get really tired. Monorail, anyone?

In 2005 we skipped the Monorail, but this time around it was a must! The photo ops are too good to miss!

I call it:

'Wildcat being eaten by Fahrenheit, who is in turn being eaten by Storm Runner'

Hersheypark at sunset!

Here's the place that started it all!

Hersheypark's Monorail is the same make/model as the one that used to operate at Six Flags Magic Mountain. When Magic Mountain's closed, Hersheypark bought their trains.

Time for a few more rides in the Hollow before we leave! My last ride on Skyrush was in the front seat, and it was KILLER! :D

We also got our Comet ride in. The ride's running great!

Skyrush's queue just gives the *best* views of Great Bear.

...and I'm spent! Let's go home and go to bed. lol

Christian and I busted our asses at Hersheypark today. I don't think I've been this tired leaving a park in a looong time. Looking forward to a leisurely day at Knoebel's tomorrow! :}

No comments:

Post a Comment