Tuesday, July 9, 2013

EVEN MORE Six Flags New England + Canobie Lake: My Bloated Coaster Con XXXVI Road Trip Report - Part VII


Following our fabulous bonus visit to Rye Playland, it was time to return to Six Flags New England once again for a few more ACE activities. Soon we'll be disembarking from Six Flags & heading toward our 2nd official host park: Canobie Lake!

Good morning, Six Flags New England! It's our last morning together.

Is that an S&S Combo Tower in your park, or are you just happy to see me?

This year at Con, everyone got a randomly-selected bonus tour of a ride. Steve won a "Scream Maintenance Ride" ticket and gave it to me! A maintenance ride on a drop tower means going slowly up & slowly back down. Why do this? To take pictures, of course! 


While we were waiting for our Scream maintenance rides, Goliath did some test runs. It never opened for us, however. In fact, it may still be out of commission at the time of this publishing.

Seated & ready for ascent!

Hello down there!

I picked a seat that provided panoramic views of a majority of the park,

but my favorite pictures from my ride are of the tower itself! 

Obligatory Bizarro shot.

It's a loooooooong way down!

Time's almost up! one last shot before we gently return to terra-firma.

I caught up with Jeff at Gotham City Gauntlet.

Catwoman was seeing guests for a 2nd time during ERT, but it seems that everyone has gotten their credit!

It's MICHAEL!!!!! :D

I'm sure you're all missing Michael as much as I am by now. Not to worry: it will be the Michael Morris show once again on the next trip!



I thought about riding this, but I decided that I'm still satiated from my 20 minute ride on the Flying Bobs at Beech Bend earlier that month.

One of the COUNTLESS articles of free swag we received at Coaster Con were these little stress balls in the shape of hard hats. Here is Adam modeling one for me. :}

The last coaster rides for us at Six Flags were on Batman!

Batman and Mind Eraser had their ERT session yesterday while we were at Playland, so we had some catching up to do!

Our last ride at SFNE was their flying carpet ride, Buzzsaw. I love these! I wish they were as popular as pirate ships.

Thank you, Six Flags New England, for being such a great Coaster Con host!

Hopefully I'll get to ride Goliath on my next visit, whenever that may be.

Here I am wearing all 4 of our drink refill wristbands. Why? Just because. :}


It's now time for CANOBIE LAKE!!!! 

This was the surprise hit of the trip. I hadn't heard a ton about the park before, but this place is AWESOME! It's exceedingly beautiful, both in terms of natural & planted foliage, and the buildings are to die for. The centerpiece of their top-notch ride collection is the 1930 Yankee Cannonball, which is now in my Top 5 woodies.



LOOK AT HOW CUTE THIS PLACE IS. omg.

This is one of the first things you see when you walk in. I about had a conniption.

LOOK AT THIS! IT'S JUST LIKE MIDGET AUTOPIA AT DISNEYLAND!!!

So, so cute. 

It's like Roller Coaster Tycoon up in here!

They also have one of these large Frog Hoppers.

OOOO! It's Euro-Fighter time!

I love the drops on Euro Fighters, but the rides can sometimes beat you up a little.

Untamed is.....well........violent.

I liked the ride, but I was in the minority. Also, the shoulder harnesses smell like B.O. >:|

These smiling faces didn't last through the duration of the ride.

There's some nice hang time here, but you get bashed in the head twice upon entry.

GRRRRRR I'M A FEROCIOUS BEAR SKIN RUG!!!

After our 1 ride on Untamed (credit #37 of the year), we rode the Sky Ride. It's a cute little thing that goes out to the edge of the lake and back. Like Untamed, Sky Ride's supports are painted to look like birch bark.

Birch, please!

You need to post that picture of me, Jeff! 

A little too much sun, y'all? lol

Canobie boasts of a cute kiddieland.

They have a kiddie whip that gives Playland's a run for its money!

Classic fire engines!

HORSIES!

This ice cream is FABULOUS!!

Corkscrew time!

Credit #38 of my Year of 100 New Coasters is the Canobie Corkscrew! This first-model Arrow Corkscrew was purchased second hand form the Old Chicago indoor amusement park where it began its life as The Chicago Loop.


The paint job in this ride is stunning. New for 2013!

I'm that person who'll lay flat on the ground to get a shot, knowing full well that it'll probably come out under-exposed anyways.

We were going to do the train, but it wasn't going to be back for another 22 minutes! We decided to wait 'til tomorrow.

Around the train station & some of the shops are these vintage peep-show machines!

One of the park's newer areas is 18th-Century Boston. Also, there's May and Peg on the left! May appears to be pushing an invisible person in a wheelchair. :}

Boston-Tea-Party-themed-shoot-the-chute = Greatest idea ever.


In addition to culturally-relevant themed rides, Canobie also has some rides with oddball themes. Themes include outer space, Malibu, and the Republic of Turkey.

Canobie Lake's Rotor is among the last stationary rotors in North America. The others are at Worlds of Fun, Adventureland, and Sylvan Beach.

This thing spins FAST. It's definitely faster than fellow European-nation-themed Rotor Finnish Fling at Worlds of Fun. I don't remember Spinout at Six Flags Magic Mountain being this fast either.

"That one looks like he's about to blow chunks!"

Tom and Dan in the barrel!

After Turkish Twist, most of the ACErs went to this popstar-type-show thingy that we had VIP seating for. I skipped it because I was on a mission...


CANOBIE LAKE GIFT SHOP!

Canobie Lake gave us 50% OFF park merchandise. Naturally I bought everything. 


Then I pranced around the parking lot and took pictures of the Yankee Cannonball!

I still had yet to actually ride the coaster. Little did I know that it's the most perfect out-and-back coaster ever.

Buttery-smooth and full of airtime!

The ride is full of rapid-fire airtime that isn't strictly relegated to the hills. The ride sort of bounces in places.

Seeing the Ferris Wheel all lit up drew me in like a moth.

The lights are a mesmerizing LED light show.

I came over here to do something but I've completely forgotten what it was.

Canobie has a Frisbee that looks like it came straight from a German fair, both in terms of appearance and ride cycle.

Canobie's Carousel is stunning at night. Like a turn-of-the-century post card.

This is a Facebook cover photo waiting to happen.

I'd say Canobie is one of the nicest nighttime parks I've ever visited. It's definitely up there with Lakeside, Disneyland, and Tivoli Gardens.

Time for Yankee Cannonball ERT! I rode 6 times with 6 different friends. Probably one of my all-time favorite ERT sessions ever. 

Hey look! It's Liz! And Liz's friend! (I'm not sure who Liz's friend is). Who's your friend, Liz?

Liz is the Editor for Thrillography. You're reading this right now, aren'tcha Liz? :}


And that's credit #39!
Canobie is amazing. Of all the parks I visited on this trip, Canobie would have to be in my top 3 along with Kennywood and Knoebels. It is one of the most charming & delightful amusement parks I've ever visited. And I get to come back here tomorrow! :D

My next update is of (probably) my favorite day of Con. We'll spend the morning at Canobie Lake, make a stop at York's Wild Kingdom, and then party all night long at Palace Playland! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I have just been informed by Michael Morris that Goliath HAS in fact re-opened. :}

    ReplyDelete