Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Thrillography Goes to Hong Kong Disneyland (Days 3 + 4) : My Fabulous Far East Trip Report - Part VI



♪  I know a place that's made for you and me!  

♫  M-I-C    

K-E-Y 

♬ M-O-U-S-E  



and we're back! With more Disney magic than we've ever had before!!

After a much-needed day of rest following our Taiwan adventure, it was time to take in some high-concentration Disney endazzlement (just made that word up).

This update covers my third and fourth days at Hong Kong Disneyland (which happened in such quick succession that it all sorta rolled together in my brain), so let's get started!!!


And who else should greet us on our return to the Happiest Place in Hong Kong than the Disneyland Railroad?! :D

(While the attraction is still closed for the duration of our trip, it's still nice to see it pass by.)

Good morning, pop-up book Main Street buildings!

Good morning handsome, Dumbo hat-wearing cast member!

And good morning, Christian!

You may remember Christian from our second park update, where we saw him performing in the Flights of Fantasy parade. He was kind enough to come to the park on his day off just to spend some time with us while Kaitlin is at work. Isn't that nice? :}

After taking a ride on the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars, Christian and I decided to pay a visit to the Mystic Manor!

I know I promised some more pictures of inside Mystic Manor, but it occurred to me that I didn't actually get any on-ride pictures until my third and final ride, which was on my last day in the park. I promise it will be worth the wait!

Here's an in-station shot, anyway. :}

And here's a shot inside the Toy Soldier Training Facility! You know what that means!

Parachute selfie!

From here we can see Mystic Manor, Grizzly Mountain, and parts of urban Hong Kong waaaaaay in the distance! 

Snack time!

Dole Whip Sprite Float with mango popping boba?!

Life = Complete

The Toy Soldiers were rounding up new parachute recruits as we were walking by.

And look what's open! it's a small world!

I'm actually downplaying my reaction to small world being open. Here's what really happened:
  
it's a small world is one of my all-time favorite Disney attractions. The ride was closed during my first two visits to Hong Kong Disneyland, but I had my fingers crossed that the ride's annual off-season maintenance would be completed before the end of my trip.

When Christian and I discovered that small world had completed its off-season maintenance and was once again taking guests on the happiest cruise to ever sail the world, I kind of freaked out and ran to the ride, leaving Christian confused and in the dust. When he caught up to me, I was kind of having a small meltdown. 

I guess you could say it was a small world meltdown. ;}


I wasn't the only one who was thrilled to see it's a small world open again; the locals were flocking to the classic attraction!

Our chariot cruise awaits! 

I'm not gonna lie. As the ride started and the music played, I kind of cried a little. I didn't realize how much this ride mattered to me until I was there riding it here in Hong Kong. 

Like Space Mountain, hearing the music and seeing the sights was like a personal homecoming. 

small world Hong Kong opened in 2008; it was the park's first major capital expenditure after their 2005-06 opening attractions. Following the decision to integrate classic Disney characters into all the existing small world rides, this small world was designed with all of the classic characters in mind. :}

In addition to the Hello and Goodbye rooms, small world Hong Kong has nine unique areas: North Pole, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Americas, Asia, Islands, Rainforest, and Finale.

The America and Asia areas are particularly fun for American tourists like myself; Hong Kong's small world representation of America is a smaller, more eclectic version of what we have at Disneyland and Disney World, while the Asia area is HUGE and features a much wider variety of Asian nations! :}

Hong Kong of new and Hong Kong of old are represented in the Asia area; more inside pictures to come!

Oh, and of course the finale is a flamboyant festival of epic proportions! 

Hooray for small world! We'll be back for another ride tomorrow with Kaitlin. :}

It's now time for Flights of Fantasy: Round 2!

Instead of standing in front of the castle, we're viewing the parade along the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland border. The lighting is better. :}

This girl right here with the red ribbon is GETTIN' IT.

GET IT, GIRL!

Show that ribbon who's boss!!

Here's Mickey's hot air balloon ship thingy.

And here comes the Pooh fleet!

Tigger bounces around the crowd while Eeyore shuffles along lackadaisically.

Watch out for those bouncing bees! I don't know if they sting or not. :}

You better werk, Hunny Pot Girl! Work that hunny!!!

The pièce de résistance has arrived! It's the princess swan!

Just look at this lovely gaggle of princesses!

Look, everyone! It's Belle! Isn't she beautiful? :}
It's time for the Flights of Fantasy show stop! All of the little princes and princesses (and any little non-gender-conforming members of royalty :} ) were invited to dance for the princesses!

The princesses are pleased!

They're all just so beautiful! But Belle especially has my attention.

And it looks like I have hers! Isn't she just so stunningl?!

And so playful!

(Thanks to Christian for the picture.)

Also, does she look kind of familiar to you? I feel like I know her from somewhere! 

Anywho, back to the parade!

Here comes Tink! She seems like someone I could become good friends with. :}

Here's everyone's favorite mutant shapeshifting alien pal, Stitch!

And here are the Toy Soldier parachute recruits again to round out Flights of Fantasy!

As soon as the parade ended, Christian whisked me away to the Storybook Theater! It's time to see the park's other signature stage production, The Golden Mickeys!
What a lovely theater. :}



The Golden Mickeys work a bit like the Oscars, only it's much shorter and  slightly more Disney-oriented. Slightly. lol

The show opens with the kind of New York revue pizzaz you'd expect from a show like this.

I must admit I adore the stage set. :}

*tophat hijynx*

"Hello, and Welcome to The Golden Mickeys! Like all good award shows, we're going to  make this about 95% performances and 5% awards! Let's get started!"

"The award for best animated toy-themed trilogy goes to Toy Story!"

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"

"The award for 90s Disney movie that everyone forgot goes to The Hunchback of Notre Dame!"

"The award for best Disney film with music by Phil Collins goes to Tarzan!"

"The award for best animated movie with overwhelming feminist overtimes goes to Mulan!"

Frozen was also nominated, but…c'mon. A 16 year old girl saved all of China from the Huns. Learning to love yourself is important, but…those Huns, though.

"The award for best movie to trigger a Disney renaissance goes to The Little Mermaid!"

Man, Frozen is getting robbed this year! 

"The award for best Disney movie to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture goes to Beauty and the Beast!"

*Cue climactic Beauty and the Beast sequence*
"And finally, the award for best award-themed theater production goes to The Golden Mickeys! Thank you all for coming and drive safely."



Alright! Enough watching things. We need to ride something. SPACE MOUNTAIN IT IS!

Next I took a couple of nice sunset pictures of the Orbitron. Because color composition. :}

The big blue Earth-looking thing really makes this ride. It's like a giant globe! 

You didn't think we were going to skip RC Racer, did you?

WOOOOSH!!!

EVENING RC RACER EXTREME POV CRAZINESS W/ CHRISTIAN!

Say "hi" Christian!

We had these grandiose intentions of riding Winnie the Pooh, but we soon discovered that the 15 minute wait was a very optimistic suggestion. We bailed after 20 minutes to head over to the midway for a good view of Paint The Night!

However, it's hard to walk through Fantasyland at night without stopping to take pictures. :}

OHH.

NIGHTTIME SMALL WORLD PICTURES MUST HAPPEN NOW!

*____*

And just in time for the clock sequence!

Unlike the original small world, Hong Kong's has lights on all year round! 

And they are *super* fancy LEDs!

You could pretty much watch small world for half an hour and not get bored, give or take. Depending on your attention span. :}

Ok small world! It's time for Paint the Night! We'll be back soon! 

WOOHOO! Paint the Night: Round 2!

Woo! Crazy fairy dance!

Woo! Floating Tink!

Woo! Dancing dot matrix things! So much woo!

I'm definitely digging these screens. Spinning HD door screens! 

Mike's looking a bit sunburnt.

Look! It's everyone's favorite stock car, Lightning McQueen!

This segment of the Paint the Night parade is brought to you by Dinoco Fuels

I forget who this guy is, but he's just chillin on the back of Mack's trailer. 

AH-RIEL! JUST LOOK AT OLL THE HUMANS! 

I don't exactly know what happened with this picture. I know there was a flash involved. 

Look everyone! It's Belle on her incredible floating dress float. :}

She looks just as lovely at night as she does during the day. 

In addition to being my favorite float in the parade, the Belle float also seemed to photograph the best. :}


During the show stop, we were all approached by Belle's crew of dancing candelabras!

Belle conducts their graceful dance with just a few flicks of her royal hand.

I love how the rose gradually changes between different rose-type colors. :}

Bye Belle! It was great seeing you again! I have a feeling our paths will cross again very soon. :}

Turns out Belle has not one crew of dancers, but two! Also with candles.

Candles everywhere. :}

And here comes Slinky Dog on his giant Lite-Brite board!

I just noticed that the loop on Slinky Dog's front for his pull-string is present. No detail goes overlooked here at Disney!

Slinky excitedly chases after the candle-laden dancers of the Belle ensemble.

Goofy, Donald, and Minnie have arrived on their giant floating balls! You know what that means...

Mickey Mouse is here to close out the parade! What an amazing display!

After Paint the Night concluded, I wandered around Fantasyland some more.

It is so nice to have small world back on the roster. <3

I just cannot get enough of Fantasyland at night! I think I'll host a photoshoot here tomorrow. :}

My nighttime wandering led me to Tomorrowland, where Kaitlin happened to appear out of nowhere!

So, obviously, we rode Space Mountain. :}
  
  
What a fabulous third day! Time to get a little rest, and then do it all over again tomorrow! :}


Good morning again, Disneyland! I sure could get used to this. :}

*inhales deeply and exhales*

We've got another great day ahead of us!

Whew! And it's busy!

I took a walk through the Main Street shops to pass the crowds. :}

I think this will be a good photo day. Lots of people mean longer lines, but better photo opportunities! 

This is just the prettiest little Fantasyland. 

Every day there's a contest to see who can draw the sword from the stone! We should check it out later. 

Morning Mission: A birdseye photoshoot from the parachutes! 

The toys are rather spry this morning. :}

Going up!

Parachuting is such a fun group activity. :}

RC Racer is ready to roll! Such a lovely specimen. :}

Has anyone heard the rumor that Walt Disney World might be seeing a Toy Story Land of their own? Hmm...

You know what we haven't ridden lately?

Jungle Cruise! 

Wave to everyone on the island! Kaitlin and I will be checking that out tomorrow. :}

I think this might be the most elephant-centric Jungle Cruise of the four. Shoutout to my elephant enthusiasts!

This elephant is so happy to be taking a shower. And can you blame him? This is pretty much how I look in the shower too. ;}

Into the flooded ruins!

Uh-oh. These guys again.

Remember boys and girls (and non-gender conformers), if you are ever chased by one of these walking skin conditions, run in a zig-zag pattern; they don't turn corners well. 

From Asia to Africa, just like that!

My, Sir! What big ears you have! :}

Ahhh yes. :}

Never gets old.

SHHHH! We're in the native encampment again! Let's actually try to be quiet, unlike last time…



*NATIVE SQUAWKING*

*BLOW DARTS*

*CALAMITY*

*CONTINUED CALAMITY*

Aw, c'mon fire and water gods! Give is a break! Have you tried reasoning with the locals?

Whew! Well that was just as calamitous as the first cruise! Wouldn't you agree, baby elephant? :} 

Did any fans of the original Jungle Cruise notice something missing from the Hong Kong version?

That's right! There's no "back side of water" gag on the Jungle Cruise here.

Fortunately for us, the fabulous spectacle can be re-created with the help of this  waterfall-framing grotto! Hooray for the back side of water!! :}

Oh look! We're just in time for the sword in the stone challenge! Merlin rounded up a strapping young man for the challenge, but his attempt proved unsuccessful. What now?!

What's this…!? An even younger lad has been asked to try his hand at the sword as well! And he's done it! He's drawn the sword from the stone!

He is the chosen one! Three cheers for the rightful king, King Arthur of Hong Kong!

Hoo! That was fun. How about some royal lunch? :}

Kaitlin just happened to appear out of thin air in time to join me for a bento box lunch with fried dumplings!

Here we have cold soba noodles, ginger salad, a pickle of some sort, fresh watermelon, and four distinct pieces of sushi: sake-nigiri (salmon on sticky rice), inarizushi (sticky rice and other ingredients in a fried tofu pocket), an unusual-looking ebi-nigiri (shrimp on sticky rice), and a Mickey Mouse-shaped tamago-nigir (Japanese style omelet on sticky rice).

A feast fit for a king!

And you can't forget about the fried park dumplings! They were excellent as well. :}

Here's an oversized depiction of the Hundred Acre Wood, just because. :}

We passed through the Hundred Acre Wood, which lead us to small world! Hooray!

Here's a few more small world shots that actually came out:

Cinderella and Prince What's-his-face in France...

...the various four-legged friends of South America...

…a Canadian mountie and a Native American totem pole (sporting a loon (?) and a trout (?) on their heads, respectively), while Pocahontas serenades from the mountaintops...

…traditional Thai dancers...

…traditional Chinese acrobats...

…the completely-fictional-but-still-represented outskirts of Atlantis, home to everyone's favorite aquatic social recluse, Ariel...

…the virtually-impossible-to-photoraph-well rainforest...

…the fabulous finale...

…and the goodbye room! What a lovely voyage. :}

Far less calamitous that Jungle Cruise.

And now it's time for Kaitlin's favorite part of the ride: ice cream! 

small world ice cream has a nice menu. Not only does it have some great ice cream and topping options, but it's the only place in the resort where you can get a frozen Coke!

What time is it, small world?

That's right! It's ice cream time!

I had chocolate and mango ice cream on a homemade cone, still warm from the press! It was absolutely divine. ^_^

After ice cream, Kaitlin vanished and I headed over to Grizzly Gulch.

Kaitlin's not the only one who vanished, though! Spontaneous vanishing and re-appearing must just be a thing around here. :}

After a couple Grizz rides, I naturally turned to taking pictures. 

You just can't have enough Grizz pictures. :}

And what should I find upon closer inspection of the grounds?

Another magic coin press! Hooray for official Disney roller coaster merchandise for only  15HKD!

Time for us to do some more exploring, Grizz! We'll be back again around sunset. :}

I passed through Main Street just as the Flights of Fantasy parade was beginning,

but the REAL show was this trash can!

Beeping and scuttling around like an R2 unit, this friendly waste receptacle was making impressions left and right!

The can also seemed to speak fluent Mandarin, which is more than I can say about most trash cans. 

Error: Fast Pass Not Found

Hooray for other guests casually dressed up as Disney characters!

By this point in the day, lines were long and lighting was perfect. It's all about the pictures now (especially in this corner of Fantasyland, which is dedicated solely to character Meet & Greets).

O                                                      
 <:}-                          
<-- My Dumbo impression   
O                                                        
I bet you can guess where we are now. ;}



Oh! Here's something we haven't taken pictures of: Mystic Point's Mystic Gardens!

Theses dragon, eagle, and fish statues all just look like ordinary statues, right?

Well, when you take a gander through the viewing station...

…you're met with a pleasant surprise!

Do you like these ancient carved panels?

Thanks to the magic of optical illusion, the panels are now one!

Mystic Point, you're just full of surprises, aren't you? :}

See, Grizz? I told ya we'd be back. :}

There is no better time to be in Grizzly Gulch than sunset!

I like how Grizzly Mountain looks just bear enough to evoke its namesake, but not so much so that it looks fake. 

There was no riding Grizz this time of day; lines were over 45 minutes by this point!

After all, we've got two more full days for Grizz rides and other Disney adventures. :}

#solarflare

One las Gulch shot for the evening. Catch ya later, Grizz!

You know what being in the jungle makes me feel like doing?

Looking at pins! :}

Each time I pass a pin display, I notice new and unique pins just for Hong Kong Disneyland!

Like, do you need a sparkly Scrump credit card pin? Hong Kong Disneyland's got you covered; they have quite a bit of Scrump stuff here. Go figure. 


Time for some twilight shots of the hub!

Whether I'm in Hong Kong or Anaheim, I always seem to miss the Plaza Inn. I'm sure I'll eat here someday!

A silver lining of wandering pollution from Mainland China is amazing sunsets.

*HONK*

Oops! I was so distracted by the sun that I forgot I was standing in the middle of the street. Silly me. :}

Random cool thing: This Hong Kong Disneyland map is designed for the vision-impared, with a braille legend and unique textures for each of the park's areas.

Hoo! Sunset pictures! ALL OF THE SUNSET PICTURES!

QUIT JUDGING ME, LOCAL BIRD!

I'm just gonna keep casually making my way around the hub while taking pictures. Take that, bird.

To the right of the castle is this rather charming topiary. :}

Ooh! Look! Thanks to the magic of lighting and optical illusions, the pop-up castle blends right in with the sky!

This Magic Kingdom sure has some lovely grounds. :}

Let's grab a quick ride on Space Mountain before I head back into Fantasyland (because once I'm back in Fantasyland taking pictures, good luck getting me out).

You've heard of Hidden Mickeys, right?

Well, on the right wall of Space Mountain queue area, about 7 feet off this ground is this hidden crystal! I don't know if there's a story behind this thing or what, but it's pretty cool. 

Since you can't take pictures inside of a majority of Space Mountain, this mural inside Space Traders will have to do. :}

Hello again, small world! We're actually here to take some pictures of your neighbor, which has been largely overlooked on this trip so far:

The Mad Hatter's Tea Cups!

(or The Mad Tea Party, for the U.S. incarnations)

These are fun to watch and all, but I'm not going to ride it. I don't like super spiny things. No sir. 

I'm just going to keep walking around here and taking pictures. 

I'm just going to be over here with these trees. No Tea Cups for me. 

Alright, you know what? Fine. I'll get in line for the Tea Cups. But just to get better pictures. 

See? You can totally see small world from here. 

This was a good decision. I'm got some good pictures standing in line for the Tea Cups (but I probably won't even ride). 

It does look rather festive, though.

Hey, look! She's taking pictures while on the ride! Not a terrible idea, I guess. 

OK, FINE. I'll actually ride the Tea Cups. But I won't spin. 

…….

WOOOOOO! THIS IS FUN! I need to make boost the motion blur more!

*spins cup*

WOOOOooooOOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOooo!

*stumbles out of tea cup*

Welp. Now I feel sick. 

This is all your fault, small world. I blame you. 

I'm going back to my trees now, thank you very much. My colorful, glistening, non-nauseating trees. 

Although the tea cups were pretty fun…I guess...

But I'm not going to ride them again. Ever. 

But they sure do look good. :}

And look, we have company!

The Cheshire Cat has come out to see us! I guess that's what happens when you go to a Mad Tea Party. :}

Thanks for stopping by, Cheshire Cat! 

Goodnight, Fantasyland. :}

Oh! And you know we couldn't have left the park without a picture with at least one Disney-crazy local!

And so the sun sets on fourth Disney day! It's time to hop the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort Line to the next adventure!
… and what's our next adventure, you ask? 


The totally-spectacualar AIA Great European Carnival!!!


That's right! a full-scale, German-style nighttime funfair, complete with outrageous spin-and-puke rides, dazzling lights, and even a roller coaster!!!

(it's a Wacky Worm, but hey; a credit's a credit). 

Our next update will also include Day 5 of Disneyland, where we'll explore Tarzan's Treehouse, have a Stitch Encounter, and try some crazy-wonderful new food! 

See ya soon. :}

No comments:

Post a Comment