Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Beech Bend Bash 2013 Trip Report

There comes a point in one's planning of summer excursions where one must say "that's enough." Or at least, that's how my summer plans worked.

I had myself locked in for a total of 3 coaster trips, all of which seemed to grow independently into fairly bloated ventures in which the allure of "one more park" won out several times apiece. I started saying "Ok, that's enough parks for one year".........buuuut then another park got added to my Coaster Con trip. And then another. Then Denver happened & we ended up cramming 5 parks into a 4-day weekend. 

Fast forward to when ACE Events Director Paul Blick asks me personally to attend his FAVORITE event of the year, Beech Bend Bash. My first response was something to the effect of "No, I spat in the face of moderation about 5 itinerary additions ago. This has to stop."

I should know by now that, when THE Paul Blick invites you personally to an event, no isn't really an acceptable answer. I told him I was moving that weekend, but SOMEHOW he managed to coax me into going to YET ANOTHER amusement park this summer. He even got my mom in on it. I think he uses Jedi mind-tricks or something. 

Any-who, I'm really pleased that Paul asked required me to attend Beech Bend Bash this year because this event is effing amazing and Beech Bend is only 2 hours from my house.

If you've never been to Beech Bend, make an effort to go at some point. If you don't make an effort to go, Paul and I will come after you. >:}


Here's Beech Bend's humble entrance. The whole power-line-thorugh-the-picture thing happens a lot here, so get used to it.

Just LOOK at all of these beautiful ACErs! :D

"Hi, ACErs!"

Okay, people. That boy in the camo hat is one to remember. You're going to be seeing him A LOT on this blog pretty soon.

Christian (super-awesome, camo-hatted best buddy) brought his sweetheart Jessica to Beech Bend Bash this year. She wouldn't let me get a picture of her face. My guess is that she's an international pop sensation and has some kind of paparazzi PTSD. To his right is Tracy. I don't even know where to begin with Tracy. I'm actually not even going to try. 


Me, Christian & Michael! Michael's not paying attention.

Time for the annual Kentucky Rumbler Walk-back tour to kick of Beech Bend Bash 2013!

Some people wore their BBB shirts from last year. I can't wear mine because I ended up with a size too small & it makes me look like a cased sausage.

Kentucky Rumbler is a beautiful GCI woodie with a superb "Aeroplane Coaster" drop.

I caught Michael trying to STEAL the Kentucky Rumbler!

And he has an ACCOMPLICE! It's KAT!!!

Here we are under Kentucky Rumbler's first drop. Say hi, Mom. :}

Kentucky Rumbler has some GCI usual-suspect elements, including a station fly-by and two station fly-overs!

"Hey, Christian! I'm takin' one of you for the blog!"

Then this happened.

Another fabulous BBB activity is the Haunted House walk-thru! We get to straddle the ride's hot rail and "penguin walk" the whole ride! If you've never walked through a dark ride before, come to Beech Bend Bash and bask in its splendor!



Lots of squeaks, squeals, and awkward shuffling to be had! :D

Turns out Beech Bend has a pretty high special effects budget.

I really appreciate the gore-factor on this ride, too. I'm not a fan of "cleansed" dark rides.

My mom loves anything amusement park-related that's old. She had to have her picture with Beech Bend's beautiful old Tilt-A-Whirl.

Uh-oh. It's those three again!

Christian was all like, "Hey, you wanna go ride the Sca--"

"NO."

We did ride this, however. Great ride! Mom loved it.

But she wasn't too keen on this.

One of BBB most fun activities is the Wild Mouse Water Challenge! Teams of four have to hold on to a cup of water (each with one hand on the cup) with hopes of keeping SOME petty amount of water in their cup. Samantha is demonstrating proper cup-holding etiquette for the kiddos. :}

Our hopes of winning the challenged end up all over Michael. Way to take one for the team, buddy!

Next was Kentucky Rumbler ERT! I rode twenty times without leaving the train. 

Soon the park was open to the public. Insane crowds today.

Corey, Michael and I were all feelin' pretty snazzy in our shades.

(actually we were dying of excessive sun exposure. Beech Bend doesn't exactly have a proportionate amount of shade)

However, the mini-golf course is nicely shaded. That's definitely a place where it counts.

Beech Bend's new Vortex ride wasn't *quite* ready for us. Secretly, I was happy. I don't do as well on those kinds of rides as I used to. People hear me say that sort of thing & then bust my chops by saying I'm too young to be saying that. And I'm just like "Yep. I'll get right on that." lol

I'm always up for a drop tower, however. This is a copy of the one at Lakeside.

Michael won this wiener hat at Beech Bend Bash a few years back. Since then he's made a point of wearing it on the park's bumper cars.

"Okay, you guys. Let's go for the guy with the wiener on his head!"

After our bumper car ride, we caught the tail end of Paul's game show, which he hosted during our catered lunch. Based on the door prizes, the wiener hat suddenly made more sense.

The Dragon Wagon was having a little trouble today. It was consistently failing to climb the lift hill on the third circuit & would fly back through the station.

Time for the Midway Olympics! 

This was a pretty neat carnival game. The round race track map spins as the player navigates a small race car left & right. A corresponding race car moves based on how well the drive navigates on the little race track! 

My mom and I snuck off at one point to ride the Rumbler & use our free on-ride photo vouchers!

I really love this picture.

(Sorry for low-quality. Just took it real quick with my phone. :})

As you can see, the crowds were just dreadful today.

Dreadful, I tell you. 

ACE TAKEOVER OF THE BUMPER CARS!

When I was about 7, I had a bad experience on the bumper cars at Paramount's Great America. I was hit head-on & the seatbelt sliced my neck open a little bit. This resulted in a 12-year boycott of traditional bumper cars that ended in Scandinavia with ACE in 2011. I'm still wary of bumper cars to this day, but now a lot of them have lap bars, including the ones at Beech Bend. I rode these a 2nd time during the take-over, and that was enough. I had fun. :}


Uh-oh! There's some trouble

The wiener rides again!

Power Surge is a very fun ride. Under-rated in my opinion.

Nick was tired out after the ACE Takeover of the Bumper Cars!

"Ack! The paparazzi is at it again!!!"

This was taken during the "Never Ending Carousel" ride. We were all a little delirious 15 minutes in.

Here's the Heavenly Kentucky Rumbler from the Carousel.

Here we all are getting ready for our "Never Ending Flying Bobs" ride. 

Make no mistake: 20 straight minutes of non-stop Flying Bobs was absolutely sickening. I would have rather done 20 minutes on Power Surge, honestly. (Hint Hint, Paul!!)


The "Never Ending Sea Dragon" ride did me in. I was toast.

Nick and Kat are sooooo perfect for each other. <3

Soon it was time for our Luau at Beech Bend's Splash Lagoon!

Splash Lagoon is quaint, but really effective. I look forward to seeing them grow this part of the park in the future.

No Luau is complete without Hawaiian pizza!

Here's a picture of Starship 4000 just because it looks *fabulous*.

There was more ERT to be had, but my mom and I decided to get a head start on our drive home. 

Beech Bend Bash is one of the best regional events in ACE. Anyone who's thinking of attending the 2014 ACE Spring Conference at Kings Island/Beech Bend is in for a real treat. Don't miss this one.

Okay, folks! I leave for Kennywood tomorrow to kick off my Coaster Con 2013 Adventure! Construction on the first installment will commence on June 28th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment